Who doesn’t love cheesy bread? I tend to deprive myself, since it’s not exactly, well, healthy. Make no mistake, I’m not over here reinventing the [cheese] wheel (I apologize for that pun); this is not a low-cal or fat-free dish by any stretch of the imagination. But for those watching their gluten intake, this is definitely a viable replacement for the original.
There’s something else: the base for this cheesy bread actually plays double-duty as a PIZZA CRUST. Yep, it’s perfect as the cornerstone of a saucy, cheesy culinary delight – it’s firm enough to handle cheese, sauce and toppings, but still soft and delicious. The cherry on the top is that it’s super easy to make.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder and oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- ¼ cup of shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheese (I used a mixture of cheddars)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F
- Prepare pan: I used a cookie sheet and lined it with parchment paper, and then lightly sprayed the paper with high-heat cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs with the water until combined.
- Add your seasonings and mix well.
- Sift coconut flour (or just crush the lumps with your fingers) and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Add the parmesan cheese.
- Once everything is mixed, you may need to let the dough sit for a couple of minutes to allow the flour to soak up excess liquid. If it’s too thick, on the other hand, you can add water a tablespoon at a time until you’re happy with the consistency.
- Spread the dough onto the prepared pan, making two 8-inch rounds.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned and the center is set.
- Pull out and let sit for 2 minutes or so
- Then, using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops with butter.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese evenly on each round.
- Stick it back into the oven and set the oven to BROIL.
- As soon as your cheese melts and gets bubbly, pull the pan out of the oven.
- Let rest until the cheese sets a bit, and then slice into strips with pizza wheel.
- Serve with marinara sauce.